CAUSE THERE'S MORE TO DO THAN JUST MOVE IT MOVE IT.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Back to School

I am always wanting to learn something new.
This year I have learnt how to cycle (finally!), taken a hula hooping class, yoga (again) and even learnt sewing.

But you can never be done learning so I have decided to do a new course. An art course.

I always get so caught up in my work that I feel like I don't have time to do basic things like drawing.
Which is sad because I am a graphic designer.
Most people around me think I am a penniless artist who paints all day.
And I wish it were true.
The painting all day part. Not the penniless part.

I feel like I never have the time to paint.
So I have decided to make time.
Because you always can if you really want to.
And make sure you don't stare at the wall for as long as you do when you wake up.

I started an online art course today called Introduction to Art on Coursera.
Coursera doesn't have as many art courses as Skillshare but I decided to try it out anyway.

It's a 7 week long course which may seem a little long to commitment-phobes so if you are one but you still want to make something but in one go, have a look at the Etsy blog. There's something fun for everyone!

DIY via Etsy

The Introduction to Art Course that I'll be taking covers a bit of Art History and actual practical work where you get to create your own little works of art.
It's meant for anyone and everyone - even those with no art background and you learn through video tutorials and reading and get to submit assignments and even do peer assessments.

I'm looking forward to all the reading. I did some on my own today too in my extended lunch break.
So here's some random colour trivia - Did you know that pink is the leftovers of white light when you take away green? So it essentially is - minus green.
Can't wait to learn more random information that in no way will affect my life but is still exciting to know.

But, what I love/ hate most about it is that you have to do this course purely on self motivation.
There are no fees. It's free. And no one is forcing you to submit assignments. You just do if you want to. 
And there's no one who's going to question you about it the next day either.

Also, I have always hated critiques. Because everyone has an opinion and sometimes they are negative and the negative ones hurt. But doing it all online somehow makes it seem less intimidating and competitive and more enjoyable.

So here's to a great 1st week of this course where I hope to paint the town red.
And blue. And green. And yellow. And maybe even purple.

Photo by me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...